1-3 Castle Gate

Project Info

Construction Date circa 1907
NIEA Listing Not listed
Project Value Circa £155,000.00
Completion Date October 2006
Architect Tracey Architects
Property Description:
The development comprised a prominent three storey corner block located adjacent to the City Walls at Castle Gate.
The property comprises a red brick façade with render finish at ground floor level. Decorative pilasters and mouldings frame the shop fronts along with the first floor windows. Natural slate roof is concealed behind a decorative parapet arrangement.

Waterloo Street received its current name in 1867 having formerly been known as the Cow Bog, due to its use as a cattle market over the years. Up until circa 1850 the street had primarily been developed on the northern side, leaving the city walls exposed. The southern side, adjacent to the city walls was developed in the latter half of the 19th century. The overall street was significantly redeveloped in the early 20th century with the majority of current properties being constructed around this time.
This property, including 22-24 Waterloo Street is thought to have been originally designed as a boot workshop and warehouse by Patrick Elliot in 1907.

Description of Works:
Repair of external fabric and reinstatement of architectural detail to comprise;
  • roofing repairs
  • re-pointing
  • window repair and replacement
  • Renewal of parapet gutter
  • removal of external shutters and reinstatement of architectural detail
Use Upon Completion:
The completed property comprises;
  • 2No. Retail Units
  • 2No. Office Suites at upper floor levels

Phase 1 THI Completions


Restoration, Repair & Reinstatement of Architectural Detail

1-3 Castle Gate Prior To Townscape Heritage Initiative

1-3 Castle Gate After Townscape Heritage Initiative