Well-proportioned three storey terraced property comprises a red brick façade with 1 over 1 sliding sash windows and a decorative yellow brick bands. A continuous string exists at first and second floor cill levels and a continuous hood moulding is located above the first floor windows. Façade is topped with a decorative brick corbel at eaves level. Inappropriate PVC windows had been fitted at upper floor levels.
Prior to intervention inappropriate shop frontage and unsightly external shuttering arrangements detracted from the overall architectural quality of the properties.
Waterloo Street received its current name in 1867 having formerly been known as the Cow Bog, due to its use as a cattle market over the years. Up until circa 1850 the street had primarily been developed on the northern side, leaving the city walls exposed. The southern side, adjacent to the city walls was developed in the latter half of the 19th century. The overall street was significantly redeveloped in the early 20th century with the majority of current properties being constructed around this time.
Description of Works:
Repair of external fabric and reinstatement of architectural detail to comprise;
- Re-roofing / roofing repair in natural slate
- Repair and re-point chimney stacks
- Renewal of rainwater goods in cast iron
- Render repair to rear facades
- Replacement of PVC windows with timber sliding sash units
- Provision of new shopfronts incorporating internal lattice shutters
The completed property comprises;
- 1 No retail unit / beauty salon with ancillary accommodation to upper floors